Why Do You Need a DUI Attorney In Athens, Georgia?
Drinking under the influence or while drunk is one of the most serious road related charges that can be filed against you. If you are arrested for being intoxicated while driving, you may end up serving some serious time or penalties or both. If you are a first time offender, you may be in a bit less trouble, but that doesn’t mean that you should be careless since you are not only endangering your life but that of others. If you happen to cause an accident while drunk, the charges will be more, so it is best to steer clear of driving if you have had a drink. However, you may find yourself arrested, and the best thing you can do is start looking through a list of DUI attorneys to find the best DUI attorney in the Athens area and get in touch with that DUI attorney today.
Steps To Take When Arrested for Driving Under the Influence
When arrested for drunk driving, there are a few things that you need to be aware of so that you do not end up in more trouble than you initially were. Here is a summary of what you should do:
- Know your rights. Sometimes you may be wrongfully accused, and if you do not know your rights when arrested, you may end up suffering for no reason. Make sure your rights are read to you, and you are given your one phone call after arrest.
- Take the test. You have been arrested and put in jail; many states require that you take a chemical test that will really prove whether or not you were really drunk. There are cases where you can request to take the test if you are sure that your blood alcohol levels are not above the required. In case you pass the test, you will then be released immediately.
- Contact your DWI lawyer. If your test shows a positive result, you will be jailed, but you have the right to call your DUI lawyer that will help you get bail. If you do not have a DUI attorney, ask a family member to contact one so that he may guide you on what will happen.
- Post bail. Your lawyer or family member will help you post the required bail, and normally you will be released from custody. This is not the end though since you will need to have a hearing on your case and that is why having a lawyer is so important.
- Request a hearing. You will have less than two weeks to request a hearing with the DMV to determine whether you will keep your driver’s license. Have your DUI Attorney Athens, Georgia make this request as soon as possible since any lateness will cost you your license. An experienced lawyer will also come up with a defense for you can count on, to ensure that you have an experienced DUI lawyer.
- Prepare your defense. To have a strong defense, you need to give as many details as possible to your lawyer which will allow him to prepare a game plan for you. You will be arraigned in court and enter the plea your lawyer advised. It is possible to contest a DUI Athens, Georgia case and win so trust in your lawyer.
Why You Need a DUI Attorney for DUI Charges
Many people do not believe that DUI charges are serious especially if it is your first time. However, being your first time, you are most probably clueless. A lawyer will be an asset because:
Knows the System
An experienced DUI attorney knows how the system works in and out, so this is something that you need so that the process can run as smoothly as possible.
Help with Bail
If you do not have the money or someone to post bail for you, your lawyer can assist you with that by finding a bondsman and working out a deal on your behalf.
Request a Hearing
Your DUI lawyer Athens, Georgia will request a hearing with the DMV on your behalf and help ensure that you get to keep your license, something that you may be unable to do on your own.
Come Up With Your Defense
If your case ends up in court, you need someone that understands the law and your charges to defend you. It doesn’t matter whether your test came out positive or not, it is possible to win the case with a strong defense.
So as to have a hold of things from the start, you need to hire an experienced DUI attorney Athens GA that will work to prove your innocence in court. Make sure that you do a thorough vetting of the DUI attorney so that you can pick the best; one who will understand your case and be dedicated to getting you an innocent verdict.